Monday, August 24, 2009

More pic, and a question

[Apparently, blogspot is working again, and I can now continue the post abruptly interrupted a few minutes ago... make sure you read both this and the post immediately below in sequence!]
First, I want to share the pictures I promised when I posted the photos of the Milano grenadiers and the Piedmont and Normandie regiments earlier tonight.
The first picture shows the back side of the Stuppa men, followed by two close-ups of the Stuppa and Donnington officers. As you may notice, I am becoming more and more daring with the use of silver and brass on laces and uniforms, as well as on tin buttoms. Ehi, they look good to me, given than about one year ago I was still adamant in NOT wanting to paint XVIII century uniforms because "too complex and ornate"!




And now a question for you all, my friends.

Usually, I have come of the good habit to dip my miniatures before basing them. You may see some good example of my technique and final results here and here. But now, I confess to be torn. The dip may still provide a great effect on my infantrymen, but I am afraid that the dipping will partially cover my painting efforts, especially on the officers. So, I am almost tempted NOT to dip this time around. I need to think about this. Oh well... in the meanwhile, I can start some work on the cavalry. I have dragoons and cuirassiers waiting on the workbench!

3 comments:

jmilesr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jmilesr said...

I always like the dip effect so would recommend you "dip" the officers also. You can always try to dilute whatever dip you use and put it on in successive applications until you get the shading you want.

Good luck.

Sorry about deleting the first comment - my spelling was atrocious.

Bluebear Jeff said...

Another thought is that you can always paint the metallics over the dip if it dulls them too much.

But if you don't want to dip, don't . . . they are your figures, not ours.


-- Jeff